After getting such great results from the oncologist, we were feeling very confident and very excited. I felt like we had just accomplished the impossible. So we continued to juice for my grandma, and she loves it. She continues to take her turmeric and ginger capsules, and when she feels like it, she eats her cottage cheese and flax seed oil combo.
My family and I started a vegan diet in January of 2013. For me, it was to help clear up my skin which I have been battling for the last few years. For my mom, it was to help with her diabetes. She was having blood sugar readings over 300 in December, and we decided to take drastic measures for both of our sakes. A nice bonus, is that we are losing weight on this diet. I don't see how you couldn't lose weight eating only fruits and vegetables, but anyway it is a very healthy way of eating. We thought it would be really hard to give up the foods we use to eat. Actually, it has opened our eyes to a much healthier way to eat, and the food is really good. At least we think so. It's fun to experiement with these new recipes. Most of them turn out to be really delicious, and some (not many) have been not so good. I have lost almost 20 pounds since January. I just have 2 more pounds to go to 20 pounds. I also excercise regularly in addition to eating right. I have a 32 oz. water bottle that I fill up 2 times during the day. It is definitely doing us good. My skin is 90% better, and getting better everyday. My mom's blood sugar has dropped from the 300's to her most recent reading of 147. Her A1C has dropped from 9 to 7.6.
Because we are eating healthy, I take some of the food that we have made to my grandma. One of our favorites is Butternut Squash Soup. It is so good and so hearty. My grandma is very good about trying new things that we give her, but she also likes to eat the things she has always eaten in the past. Today she bought bbq buffalo wings, beef stew, and a pasta dinner. She likes to keep ice cream and cookies on hand in case she gets a craving for something sweet. But since I have been on this vegan diet, I mostly eat salad for lunch, and she tends to like to eat what I am eating, so she eats a salad for lunch also. Which is fine with me, because it is probably a lot better for her than the chimichangas we use to eat. I never force her to eat anything she doesn't want to. I don't want anyone to think I am depriving her of the things she likes. I have no problem with her eating whatever she wants, as long as she is incorporating her capsules, and juice, I'm happy with that. Anything else is a bonus.
Another issue she has sometimes is constipation. Not something anyone wants to talk about, but it is something we worry about. Mainly because of where the tumors were growing. On the scans that were taken, the doctor's told us that the tumors were wrapping around her colon. One of our fears was that it would choke off her colon and she wouldn't be able to go to the bathroom. It would be bad news if that happened. Thank goodness she has not had any problem since she started the juicing. Until a couple of days ago. She was having a little bit of trouble going to the bathroom. I got her some of the green juice, and I put calcium and magnesium in it for her like we usually do. This time I added some flax seed oil to the drink. I also gave her some prune juice with the flax seed oil in it. A few hours later, she didn't have a problem anymore. Sometimes the things that I give her, have a dual purpose. If she believes that it helps her in one way, then she is more likely to want to take it. So I am glad that the flax oil helped her go to the bathroom, because it also fights off the tumors as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment