Thursday, March 22, 2018

Coconut Oil Peanut Butter Candy

    My grandma takes turmeric everyday along with ginger. Turmeric and ginger are anti-inflammatory which makes them great for many issues in the body. Turmeric has also been said to cut off the blood supply to tumors, so we want to make sure it is working the best it can. Through all my research, I have found out that there are other things that may help the turmeric absorb better in your body. A couple of these are black pepper and coconut oil. They actually make a turmeric capsule with black pepper in it. The other way is through coconut oil. They say having turmeric along with a fat such as coconut oil will help the turmeric absorb and process better in your body. Knowing this, I thought about the best way I could get coconut oil into my grandma. Thanks to this recipe, my grandma takes her turmeric capsule and then eats one of these candies right after.
I found this blogger called "Chocolate Covered Katie". She had some really fun recipes. I ordered her book, and found the perfect recipe for my grandma.


The recipe is called Peanut Butter and Jelly Candy Cups. It's perfect because it's made with coconut oil. I took a picture of the recipe for you. This is the closest recipe I could find of hers online. She must have updated it since this book came out.
https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/06/14/chocolate-peanut-butter-cups/




     I started making this just the way it says to, except I was too lazy to put the filling of jelly inside, so I just made plain peanut butter cups. One day I actually did try adding the jelly and it was delicious, but I am always looking for the easiest quickest way to do something, so I went back to plain peanut butter. Then one day, I got to thinking about how I would like to make some home made healthy peanut butter cups with the chocolate coating. I thought that it would be easy enough to add a bit of chocolate to the top of these candies. It was delicious, so I have been making them that way ever since. Another ingredient I like to add is a drop or two of vanilla (as you can see from note in the book). It adds another yummy flavor. I also double the batch so that I can send them to my grandma and it will hold her for a few weeks. I get about 20 cups when I make a double batch. I got most of these things at Sam's Club. I used to be able to get the P.B. Powder there or at Costco, but they haven't had it lately, so I have had to order it from Amazon.



You will need : 1.) P.B. Powder 2.)Coconut Oil 3.) Maple Syrup 4.)Vanilla and 5.)Chocolate Chips (Any kind you like)


The first thing I do is get the mini bon bon cup liners and put them in my mini cupcake pan.


You will need to melt the coconut oil and then add it to the rest of the ingredients in the bowl. Stir it up and get ready to divide it up.


I use a teaspoon to pour it in each cup. I go through each cup once and then go back and add another teaspoon. So all together there will be 2 teaspoons in each cup.

 

 


I like to use dark chocolate because I feel like it's a bit healthier, and I like the taste of it. You can use any kind of chocolate you like. I really just grab a handful and put them in a small ramekin. I melt them in the microwave in 30 second increments. It takes about 2-3 times in the microwave and it's ready. Stir it after each 30 seconds to see if it needs more time.


It should look like this when it's all melted. I put this pot holder under it because it's really hot and it makes it easier to pull out of the microwave and stir.


When I first started adding the chocolate, I took some time to smooth it over like a store bought peanut butter cup. After a while, I decided I didn't need to take that much time, so I started drizzling the chocolate over the top and it is just as good.


 There is always a little left over chocolate, so I just grab whatever I have near by. I threw in some cashews this time, but I have put walnuts and craisins in the chocolate and then poured it out on wax paper on a plate and put it in the fridge. You have a nice chocolate bark with the left over and you don't waste anything.



This is what they look like when I finished drizzling. Then they need to go in the fridge. They are going to set up rather quickly because of the coconut oil. It probably only needs to be in there for about 30 minutes before you take them out.


This is what they look like when I took them out of the fridge.

 

Sometimes they can stick a little, so just give it a tug or try to spin it. Sometimes you might have to use both hands to grab 2 sides of the paper cup to get it out.


I stack them in a container, and then keep them in the fridge. Click the picture below for my version of the recipe.


The recipe from the book is as follows:
Courtesy of Chocolate Covered Katie
Peanut Butter and Jelly Candy Cups
1/2 cup of powdered peanut butter
1/4 cup of coconut oil or cacao butter
4 teaspoons of maple syrup
3 tablespoons of jam of choice
Directions: (I'm paraphrasing)
Line your mini muffin tin with liners.
In a small bowl, combine the powdered peanut butter, melted coconut oil, and maple syrup.
Place a teaspoon in each cup and then freeze for 10 minutes, until firm to the touch.
Divide the jam evenly in each cup and then top with remaining peanut butter mixture.
Keep in the fridge and enjoy!


My variation of her recipe: (Doubled)
Printable Recipe Here
Coconut Oil Chocolate Peanut Butter Candy

1 cup of Peanut Butter Powder
1/2 cup of coconut oil
8 teaspoons of maple syrup
A drop or two of vanilla
Chocolate chips (a handful)

Directions:

Mix the peanut butter powder, melted coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla until smooth.

Divide the mixture up, putting 2 teaspoons in each cup.

Put your handful of chocolate chips in a small ramekin or other microwave safe bowl. Heat in increments of 30 seconds. Stir in between to see if it needs more time. It usually only takes me a 2-3 times.

Drizzle chocolate over the top of each cup.

Place the mini muffin tin in the fridge for about 30 minutes, or the freezer for about 10-15 minutes.

Take them out and stack them in a container, and keep in the fridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment