Thursday, September 5, 2013

Update

I thought I would give a brief update on how my grandma is doing these days. She is doing very well. Last night we realized that we have passed the 1 year mark. It's been 1 year since we got the diagnosis of stage 4 ovarian cancer. We got the diagnosis in August of 2012, and here we are in September 2013. On that day, the oncologist told us to sign her up for hospice. Thank goodness we didn't do it then, and we haven't had to do it since. Our last visit to the Oncologist was in May 2013, and we don't plan on going back. We went to see her Primary doctor in May also, and everything seemed to be ok. Her number had come up a little bit, but we were not discouraged by that. Since then, I have read about 2 new things that I would like to try with my grandma.

Turkey Tail
The first one is a type of mushroom. My mom found an article about a man named Paul Stamets. He is a mycologist, who has discovered many species of mushrooms. Many, if not all of these mushrooms have medicinal properties. In the article I read, he said that his mother had been diagnosed with breast cancer. He sent her a type of mushroom known as "Turkey Tail". I'm sure it has a scientific name, but I don't know what it is. Anyway, he sent her this mushroom in capsule form, and she was able to cure the breast cancer. I am a fan of Paul Stamets on facebook, so you can find him there. He also has a website which is www.fungi.com where you can order these capsules and also in tincture form.

I ordered the turkey tail in tincture form for my grandma because I knew she wouldn't want to take another pill. So I put the tincture in her drink for her a few times. She did alright with it for the first couple of days. I had started her out with some in her drink once a day. Then I decided to try it twice in one day. She called me to say that she was having a hard time, and was having pain in her back. She also said that she was running to the bathroom all the time with diarreha. So I told her we would back off on the mushroom for a while. I stopped giving it to her so that her body could relax and get back to normal, and then I just never gave it to her again.

B17-Apricot Kernals
The second thing I have recently found out about, it vitamin B17. Vitamin B17 comes from apricot kernals. Apparently it is found in many fruit seeds, but is most potent in apricot kernals. B17 is also known as Laetrile. Another name for it is Amygdalin. Amygdalin is a molecule with 4 components. 2-glucose(sugar), 1-benzaldehyde, and 1 -cyanide. I know that last one sounds pretty scary, but from what I have read, it is not dangerous at all, and in fact has helped many people cure their various types of cancer. From what I understand, the cancer cells have a kind of lock on them. But once they come in contact with this combination, the cancer cells unlock, and take in the cyanide and kills itself. This is my most basic explanation of what happens. There are better, more exact, and more scientific explanations out there, but this is my version of my basic understanding of how it works. 

I bought the apricot kernals, and I have been taking them myself. I decided to bite down on one to see how bad it would be. It was incredibly bitter, so I since then, I have been grinding them and putting them in my smoothies, and now I don't taste them at all. Now the trick is trying to figure out how to give them to my grandma. Probably the best thing for her would be to get the tablets and give it to her that way. I'm a little afraid because I read that it can lower your blood pressure. She is on blood pressure medication, so I don't want it to drop her blood pressure to low. So I'm still trying to build myself up to just ordering them and giving it a try with her. I really believe that it would help, I just need to find the best way for her to get it in her system.

Otherwise, my grandma is doing very well. She came to our house a couple of days ago, for a big family get together on Labor Day. We went to a store called "The Alley" the other day and we looked around. Besides OCD and Anxiety, she is doing quite well for 91 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment